Monday, January 20, 2014

Theism of Pre-Classical Samkhya

Theism of Pre-Classical Samkhya is the title of a book written by Dr. K. B. Ramakrishna Rao. The book was originally written in 1960 as the thesis for Dr. Rao's PhD, and was published in 1966 by the University of Mysore. My first reading of the book left me with the impression that it is probably the finest scholarly work I have ever read.  In constructing his thesis, Dr. Rao undertook a thorough reconstruction of the history of Samkhya thought, which has proved to be most helpful in furthering my understanding of Samkhya philosophy, and has provided much food for thought and further study.

I intend to use this blog as a platform to discuss this book in detail, and to use the book as a starting point for discussion of various topics in Samkhya-Yoga philosophy. I hope to provide some critical analysis of Dr. Rao's thesis, with utmost humility and greatest respect for this most excellent scholarly work.

No comments: